In the end of 2021 there were a total of 621,565 international students in Canada.
Canada is one of the most popular country for international students for many reasons.
If you would like to know where the majority of them are coming from and why they choose Canada then keep reading.
What are the most popular destinations for international students?
According to data from 2020, these were the most popular countries for international students:
- USA 1,075,496 Very good economic opportunities, high quality education if you have the funds
- UK 551,495 Good economic opportunities, high quality education, good social security net
- Canada 503,270 Good economic opportunities, high quality education, social security net, public healthcare, very open and welcoming to immigrants
- Australia 463,643 Good economic opportunities, high quality education, social security net, public healthcare, very open and welcoming to immigrants
- Germany 302,157 Economic opportunities, good education either very affordable or free, even for international students.
Its also interesting to note that except for Germany, all these countries are English speaking, which makes it attractive for foreign students, most already learned it in school or even speak it at home.
Why are so many choosing Canada?
Above we mentioned that economic opportunities and quality education is something that is very much available in Canada.
But apart from that the main reasons why students come here are:
- A well set up study permit and immigration system online
- Relatively affordable tuition fees compared to Australia and the United States
- Very welcoming to immigrants and communities of different cultures in the main cities, international groceries, restaurants etc. Canada is very multicultural!
- Canada also offers a Post Graduation Work Permit that allows students to stay and work for up to 3 years after completing an eligible program.
According to a study in 2021
- 72.5% of international students planned to apply for a PGWP
- 60% planned to apply for Permanent Residency after studying
But now! Where are all these students coming from?
- According to a survey a total of 621,565 international students where in Canada in the year 2021
- 35 % from India
- 17% from China
- 4% from France
- 3% from the Philippines (Sorry pinoys and pinays, your only top 7 ;)
Why are so many from India and China?
- Increase standard of living, chance to earn and save more and build better future compared to the situation of many people in China and India
- Old and established immigrant communities in all major Canadian cities for Indians and Chinese
- For example Brampton, ON (Indian) - Surrey, BC (Indian) - Punjabi Market Vancouver - Chinatown Toronto, Chinatown Vancouver - Victoria has the oldest Chinatown in Canada (over 150 years old)
- In 2016 there were over 1.8 million residents of Chinese descent and over 1.4 million of Indian descent living in Canada
- Lastly India and China both have a population of well over 1 billion. So it would only make sense that they make out a much larger percentage than for example France which has only a population of 67 million
Are there too many international students in Canada?
After having lived in Canada for over 5 years now, we noticed that while overall the country is very welcoming to immigrants and international students, some people and organizations are pointing out possible problems as well. The real estate sector for example has seen drastic price increases, which some blame on the rising demand from immigrants and international students (both numbers grow each year). Also some schools are choosing to only accept a certain amount of international students in general and from each origin, to keep it balanced and multicultural.
If you would like to hear more about these problems then stay tuned, as we plan to discuss these in one of our future posts.
Make sure you start the process early so that you have plenty of time to gather all the required documents. And if you have any questions about program options and locations, don't hesitate to reach out to us for guidance.
Here are some of the mentors that will help you make the perfect choice for you, click here to fill out an application and speak to a real human (ex-international student - Mc, and Dex) - and see if we're a fit to work together inside the SLE Premium Coaching Program.
Each student has a unique story and something valuable to share - hearing these testimonials will give you insights into studying at a university in another country, suggest potential challenges and rewards, and show you that no matter where you are from or what your background is, there are others just like you who have succeeded in doing so. Read on for some amazing stories!